Thursday, June 19, 2008

Why you never stick anything up your nose!

Have you ever wondered what happens when your child doesn't fall asleep for nap time and finds a necklace in her bed? Boredom spells TROUBLE!

So... Here I am talking to my dear friend Mandy on the phone, all the kids are down for naps, its calm and quiet. Creeeek my door opens and here is my daughter with a bloody nose. She hands me some Q-tips and TP and says "Mom I can't get them out. I said, What can't you get out? "Beads Mom... Lots of beads!" So I try to have her blow her nose... some beads come out. I look... but I can still see a bunch in each nostril, and in her ears too. 

I'm thinking... Is this normal? Well my mom assures me it is, she had a few of her kids do this at ages 3-5. I was kind of laughing, I know that is horrible. 

Well, I knew we had to go to the ER. So we went to the Children's Hospital. Thank goodness for hospitals that cater to children. The staff there laughed too... and assured me that Cora was not the first child's nose they had to excavate that day. The nurse said they have about 10-15 cases a day of kids sticking things up their nose or in their ears. Maybe this is just Texas kids, but I was relieved. 

I think I can almost guarantee that Cora won't do this again. Believe me it was pretty traumatic for her to have the doctors stick a catheter up her nostrils and then balloon them with saline. She said "Mom, I don't EVER want to put anything up my nose again... That really REALLY hurt."

Now we just have to wait and see if she is okay. The DR said in a week or two if any were lodged into her sinuses it will fester and she will end up with and infection. If this is the case, then she will need surgery. Let's hope they are all gone!

BEADS!!! Who knew they could cause so much drama?

The following pictures are for you to share with any little kids who want to know why you shouldn't put things up your nose! The consequences really hurt!

Waiting for the procedure...

Listening to the Doctors try and explain what they are going to do... Fear sets in.
Still calm and trusting the doctors....
Screaming, telling the doctors to take it out. This was so hard to watch.
After the trauma I just held her and calmed her down.


Calm and starting to feel safe again.

Our Cora is back... happy again, and saying No MORE BEADS Mommy!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I was wondering how it turned out. Please give her a kiss for us!