Sunday, March 8, 2009

CORA'S BIRTHDAY CAKE


It was a fun family gathering as the cousins and other family members here in town came to have cake and ice cream for our little Cora. She was the star and enjoyed being the center of attention. Everyone sang and then she blew out her candles with one breath. Yeah Cora!

Below is a close up of the cake I made for her. I was so proud. I made the flowers out of fondant and it was the first time I had ever worked with it. So understand why I am so happy with the results. It was a last minute change when the idea of using gum drops to make the flowers didn't pan out. Using the right amount of food coloring, flavoring, and extra sugar was a skill I had to learn quickly if I didn't want to stay up ALL NIGHT! I did anyway; I was just so excited about making a cake I knew would make Cora happy.

It all paid off when the first time Cora saw the cake the look on her face was priceless. She said, "OH MY MOMMY! THAT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFULEST CAKE IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD! I am the LUCKIEST princess ever. THANK YOU. Thank you Mommy. You are the bestest mommy on the whole Earth, and the bestest cooker too". So, you tell me… was it worth the effort? I surely think so.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should just call you Martha Stewart! What a beautiful cake. Happy Birthday sweet Cora!

Tonia Bell said...

Happy Birthday Cora!! Beautiful cake!!

susanalyce said...

Happy Birthday Princess CORA, Sheryl you did a fabulous job on Cora's cake.

Heather and Tim said...

You are the Bestest Mommy!!!
I love baking special cakes for my kiddos, too! It's one of my favorite "mommy" rituals. I just made one for Elizabeth's bday party on Sat. I don't have pics on the blog yet, but hopefully soon now that Gavin is home from the hospital.
Loved the video too! Can't wait to show my kids in the morning!